Durbar Sports Academy (DSA) is a Not for Profit Society (NGO) which runs one of the first of its kind Integrated Sports Academy in India for facilitating sports training for children – boys and girls – from socio-economic marginalised communities of the society. The academy is located at Ramnagar, near Baruipur which is 30 kms., south of Kolkata
Setup in the year 2011 by Durbar Mahila Samanwaya Committee (DMSC), DSA provided an opportunity to children of - sex-workers, domestic help, orphanage and tribals – to train and showcase their talent for sports, primarily football. The academy is located Ramnagar, near Baruipur, 30 kms. south of Kolkata. From a Football Coaching Camp, DSA became a residential Football Academy in the year 2015. The success of the Academy Training Program attracted children from mainstream society from all over West Bengal.
To know more about Durbar Mahila Samanwaya Committee, Please Visit durbar.org
Awards and Milestones
- The U-12 team of DSA got affiliated with the Indian Football Association (West Bengal) and took part in IFA Nursery Football League tournament for the first time. DSA succeeded in winning the Kolkata Region Championship in the first year of participation and successfully achieved this feat several times in subsequent years till date.
- DSA became Zonal Champion in the IFA State Level U–13 Age Group Football League
- 4 boys from DSA played a stellar role in the Bengal U-13 State Team crowned as National Champions
- 2 boys from DSA represented India in the Slum Soccer World Cup and were respectively the top two highest scorers in the tournament
- Rajib Roy, a DSA Super Kid, was sent for training to Manchester United as part of Selected India XI
- The Residential Academy was setup
- Along with U-13 Age Group, the first U-15 Team Age Group Team was formed.
- DSA boys participated in the IFA League in alliance with a Registered Club to provide opportunities for participating in competitive football at the Senior Division level
- For the first time, DSA Hostel welcomed their first batch of Girl Residents
- Multi Gym was inaugurated
- DSA U-16 Team participated in the DANA CUP and qualified for the semi final
- Sports Facilities – Football & Kabaddi Basketball- for Girl Residents were started
- DSA boys played key role to promote an Associate Club as Division Champions in the IFA 2 nd Division League
- DSA applied for AIFF accreditation to be recognized as one of the first Elite Youth League Team comprised of children from socio-economically backward communities
- DSA received accreditation for AIFF Elite Youth League in U-13 and U-15 age group
- DSA teams finished as Regional Runners up in both age Group
- DSA U-13 Team crowned as Eastern Region Champions in AIFF Elite Youth League
Dr. Smarajit Jana
Dr. Smarajit Jana is the Founder and Chief Mentor of the Durbar Mahila Samanwaya Committee. An eminent Epidemiologist and Social Community Medicine specialist, Dr. Jana is widely trained and associated with John Hopkins University, Michigan University, University of Washington and University of Leeds among others. As Director of Sonagachi Research and Training Institute (SRTI) based in Kolkata, India, he has developed the most successful HIV intervention program among sex workers in Kolkata. Dr. Jana was the Chairperson of 19th World AIDS conference Hub held in Kolkata 2012 and worked as a board member of the Indian Chapter of Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, Executive member of the Regional Partnership Forum under UNAIDS & UNFPA and served as a key member of the National AIDS Council(NACO) chaired by the Prime Minister of India. He has been bestowed with several Government Accolades and Public Excellence awards for his stellar contribution to Society and Public Health. Presently he is functioning as a member of the National task force on COVID 19 under ICMR.
Dr. Smarajit Jana is the Founder of Durbar Sports Academy (DSA) and has nurtured its journey from 2011till date. As President and Chief Mentor of DSA, Dr. Jana is the key person behind the new journey of Durbar Sports Academy to its next level and beyond.
Sanjit Sen is an experienced Corporate Professional and Business Strategist. Post his qualification as a Chartered Accountant, Sanjit has nearly 3 successful decades of senior level corporate association with leading Indian Corporate Houses such as Tata and B.K.Birla, set up large financial start up businesses and structured one of India’s leading Football Club as a Corporate entity - Quess East Bengal FC.
While in the Tata and Birla Group, Sanjit spearheaded several Group CSR initiatives in fields of Youth Development, Sports and Skill building. Along with Dr. Smarajit Jana, Sanjit strives to give an elevated dimension to the Durbar Sports Academy Program. The desire is to create a sustainable and unique Youth Development Program of global standards which will fulfil the sporting aspirations of the Youth from marginalised and mainstream communities of the society.
Dr. Smarajit Jana and Sanjit Sen are supported by a competent Durbar Sports Society Team of Adminstrators and Technical Experts who are committed to make the Durbar Sports Academy ‘’ Dream “ into a “ Reality “